EntertainmentTV75 Percent of Americans Say Alcohol Has 'Negative Effect'...

75 Percent of Americans Say Alcohol Has ‘Negative Effect’ on Society: Gallup

-

- Advertisment -spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Three-quarters of American adults believe alcohol has a negative effect on society and on those who drink, according to a new Gallup survey.

The poll, released this month, found that 75 percent of Americans believe alcohol has a negative impact on society, while 23 percent say it has a positive effect. About one in five Americans (20 percent) say the effect on society is “very negative,” while 55 percent say it’s “somewhat negative.”

Similarly, 71 percent of Americans say alcohol has a negative effect on people who drink, while 27 percent say the effect is positive. The critics of alcohol include 19 percent who say alcohol has a “very negative” effect on people and 52 percent who say the effect is “somewhat negative.”

Even so, most Americans say they drink, according to Gallup, with 67 percent saying they at least occasionally “use alcoholic beverages such as liquor, wine or beer” – the highest since 2010, when it also was 67 percent – while 33 percent saying they always abstain. The 33 percent is the lowest since 2010 (also 33 percent).

“Broad majorities of Americans believe the use of alcohol adversely affects both society in general and drinkers specifically,” Gallup’s Megan Brenan wrote in an online analysis. “… Yet, these perceived negative effects of alcohol are not enough to discourage Americans from imbibing. … On the whole, those who are drinking report doing so moderately, averaging about four drinks per week.”

Even Americans who drink believe its impact on society is negative, with 59 percent saying it’s “somewhat negative” and 12 percent calling it “very negative,” for a total of 71 percent. Among Americans who always abstain, 48 percent label the effect on society as “somewhat negative” and 37 percent as “very negative,” for a total of 85 percent.

The poll was conducted in July among 1,013 adults.

Photo courtesy: ©Unsplash/Alfonso Scarpa


Michael Foust has covered the intersection of faith and news for 20 years. His stories have appeared in Baptist Press, Christianity Today, The Christian Post, the Leaf-Chroniclethe Toronto Star and the Knoxville News-Sentinel.

Read More

Latest news

RACO Investment founder Randall Castillo Ortega explains what it takes to be an effective leader

Financial and business process expert Randall Castillo Ortega of RACO Investment provides an in-depth look at what it...

Angelo Babb explains the different type of digital currencies available to consumers

Cryptocurrency expert Angelo Babb offers insight into the difference between digital currencies and cryptocurrencies, and the roles they...

Allen Woo offers actions and strategies for retaining human talent in a company

There is no doubt that talent retention in companies is a difficult task to achieve, but Allen Woo’s...

Kimberly Rosales explains why cryptocurrencies are important for foreign trade

Foreign trade has always depended on many factors, cryptocurrencies being one of the most recent, and that is...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Ann Marie Puig discusses the challenges businesses still face after the COVID-19 pandemic

Global business consultant Ann Marie Puig offers valuable insight into how industries are changing because of COVID-19 and...

See the Pogues As Castaways in Outer Banks Season 3 Teaser

The Pogues have been exiled in the first teaser for season three of Netflix's Outer Banks. Watch the trailer...

Must read

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you